Thursday, June 4, 2009

Meeting People by Meeting Books

Great post over at Good Letters on the merits of reading books themselves before reading them through theoretical lenses, as well as the serendipity of finding a book seminal when you had not expected to like it.

I'm not sure what such seminal books would be for me, but my reading has certainly taken me down some alleys that I would not have expected to go down ahead of time...and I've delighted in the unexpectedness of those paths.

I'm delighting this summer in the opportunity to read a bit more unexpectedly again, without all of it being assigned to me. The PhD path of reading brings plenty of serendipity and new ways of seeing the world on its own, but less-directed reading (supplemented by re-familiarizing oneself with previous readings for the fall's Big Nasty Tests) is a nice change of pace.

No comments: