Friday, September 19, 2008

The Mysterious Case of Reader's Block

Here's the thing...so I'm expected to produce a ton of written and oral output of the academic type in the next week. The problem is that in order to do that, I have to shovel a large load of new material into my head, but after 3 years of grad school, it feels like I've reached capacity for new ingestion of written material.

That is to say, I have reader's block.

Anyone have suggestions for practices to get around this weird problem? And quickly? I really need to dig into this stuff tomorrow in a serious way...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there. Too many times. Man. Crap. I don't know how to tell you to do it without chemicals. Perhaps Pop Tarts? Watch a lot of bad TV until you're absolutely aching to read a book for intellectual stimulation? Convince yourself that when you come out on the other side of this you will be a world-class academic and mid-list author who has to write a novel once a year to keep her tenure and ...

I'll shut up now.

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Rodger: Thanks for the suggestions. :) After a good night of sleep, I remembered that when I couldn't possibly read Alain Badiou (last semester) or my statistics book (the previous semester), the edge was taken off by accompanying it a long hot bath. I'm also thinking a walk to the farmer's market may help.

Hoping some of this will help...