Why am I feeling this just now? Several reasons, really:
- The historical/archival classes I took last fall got me in the mood to remember things for future generations.
- My life has been filled with interesting stories and experiences, and I need to remember that. Hard to remember somedays that I'm an interesting person when I sit in front of the computer and/or deep theoretical tome for most of the day.
- Because of the nature of said deep theoretical reading, I find myself a dull conversational companion sometimes. Remembering those various facets of myself discovered through aforesaid interesting stories and experiences will keep me more interesting.
- Thanks to Facebook, people from various stages of my past are reviving memories of my life then and making me aware of what has happened in-between. Might as well take advantage of the memory-jogging to jot some of it down.
- I did come up with a memoir idea, title and all, last fall. Might as well lay some groundwork for it from time to time.
- It's something I can easily shift to from academic tasks (and back).
- I don't have much time or money to observe many real-world activities in a vacation-esque "see interesting things in other parts of the world" sense just now. This would give me regular vacations to parts of my past for no charge.
- It would likely help me dig through some of the questions of identity I deal with on a daily basis, making me a more integrated person.
- It would serve as a good introduction for my significant other to some of the portions of my life I don't always think to talk about on a daily basis.